Friday, June 22, 2018

Appeasement Agreement with Kim Jong-un

Since the victorious return of President Trump to America after his visit with Kim Jong-un, I am reminded of the return of Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain to London in 1938, waving the appeasement agreement he had made with Adolf Hitler in Munich. The crowds were cheering; the newspapers were mostly in agreement with the crowds and the statement of Chamberlain. “My good friends this is the second time there has come back from Germany to Downing Street peace with honor. I believe it is peace for our time. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Now I recommend you go home and sleep quietly in your beds.

King George VI issued a statement to his people, “After the magnificent efforts of the Prime Minister in the cause of peace it is my fervent hope that a new era of friendship and prosperity may be dawning with the peoples of the world.” His mother, the dowager Queen Mary remarked that “the Prime Minister was delighted with the results of his mission, as are we all….He brought home peace….”

The House of Commons discussed the Munich agreement on 3 October. Winston Churchill spoke harshly against the agreement; no Conservative voted against the pact. But 20-30 of them abstained from voting, including Churchill and Anthony Eden.

Hmmm…I wonder. I hope we are not repeating the error of 1938. It has been said that those who disregard the lesson of the past are prone to repeat it. I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment